To achieve great results for your new polished concrete floor is by correct placement make the concrete polishers steps easier.
Things to check for
Heights – Make sure the heights are right – This makes the floor flat. A flat floor is important.
Steel – Check for possible things that might come close to the surface like steel. Looks unsightly when ground.
Tools – Make sure all your tools are ready, vibrator able to be started etc
Trucks should come staggered depending on the guys placing so that concrete isnt going off while you work on the first truck etc. Concrete should be 25MPA minimum and as dry as possible with-in the ability of the placer to work with. Adding water only adds to more shrinking which in hand can cause cracks.
1. Place the concrete, wheel burrow is the best option for stones but pump will be fine. Pump concrete for polished concrete is different as it contains more fines.
2. Spread the concrete out with a rake to ruff heights, run a pencil vibrator threw the concrete. This is a must. No ifs or buts. It does NOT sink the stones.
3. Re-rake the concrete. This is the most important step as this ensures good stone cover for your polished concrete.
4. Screed off to your heigh levels and make sure all boot prints are filled with stone not fines.
5. Seed any stones or glass in to your job at this point
6. Bull float
7. Power float or Telly float. Around 2-4 times to give a good finish to the concrete.
8. Slat and pepper or marble polished concrete finishes require a different guide. Email for more info.
Power floating the finish makes the floor flat which is ideal for the concrete polishers. It also compresses the surface to make the floor more compact, this will help the over polished concrete result.
Pay attention and detail to areas the need polishing around toilets etc, the smoother the finish the better.